|In May, Seoulites and tourists from home and abroad will get together for an exciting festival in Seoul, turning the already vibrant city, rich in diverse culture with a history of 600 years, into a city with even more excitement. The Hi Seoul Festival 2004 will be held in major areas in Seoul including the City Hall Plaza, palaces, and Daehangno from May 1st (Sat) to 9th (Sun), and will excite everyone for nine days.The first Hi Seoul Festival was held last year, and the city of Seoul plans to develop it into an international festival that showcases the history, tradition, diversity and uniqueness of Seoul. The festival will be held again in May this year, and will heat up Seoul with excitement!
The festival will be mainly held in City Hall Plaza, palaces, World Cup Park, Sejong Center for the Performing Arts, Insadong, Dehangno, Shinchon, Hongdae area. People will have a wide variety of events to choose from. Various programs will be held according to the area's special features centering around main areas in downtown Seoul from May 1st to 7th. The City Hall Plaza and the major areas in central Seoul will be the main stage for the festival from May 8th to 9th.
Date : May 01, 2004 - May 09, 2004
Venue : major areas in Seoul including the City Hall Plaza, palaces, and Daehangno
Details : *Korean Wave White Night Festival will be a street festival held at night to show the dynamism and diversity of Seoul. Korean Wave White Night in Seoul will be held from 5:00 pm May 8th to 8:00 am the next day at the City Hall Plaza and around the central Seoul area.
*Prior to the the Korean Wave White Night Festival, the street cheering of the 2002 World Cup will be reenacted. For opening events, 'Seoul, Light in Motion' (PiGi Show) will be held with the City Hall building as a setting, featuring a laser performance and an air show with motor paragliding.
* From 10:00 pm on the 8th till the daybreak of the 9th, special performance programs will be held at various shopping areas based on different themes.
* In collaboration with the Korea National Tourism Organization, the city of Seoul is jointly proceeding the Hi Seoul Grand Sale at major tourist attractions like hotels, duty free stores, shops, restaurants, palaces, art museums, etc.
*Traditional SweMuriDaegui and the Citizens' Tug of War will take place on May 9th at noon for two hours at the City Hall Plaza.
*In the Hi Seoul Grand Sale, around 30,000 businesses located in the central Seoul area and the Special Tourism Zone in Itaewon, Dongdaemun, Myeongdong, Namdaemun, including hotels, department stores and conventional markets, are expected to participate. During the sale period, shops will put up stickers indicating 5 ~ 50% discounts.
* In celebration of Europe Day(May 9th), a wide variety of programs including foreign classical concerts, diverse folk performances by Seoul's sister cities, dance festivals of various countries, chorus performances of children from various countries will be held.
* At Mugyodong Street, around 40 countries will participate in a global food and culture festival. At the City Hall building from May 8th to 9th, animation films and short films by young generation directors from around the world will be screened.
* Seoul Palace Festival will be held at various palaces in Seoul. The festival will display an image of Seoul in both traditional and modern aspects through cultural events from May 1st to 9th.
* On May 9th 3:00 pm, a street parade will be held starting from Dongdaemun Stadium to Jongno, Gwanghwamun and City Hall Plaza.
*'Exciting in Seoul' is a program for the young generation. It will be held from May 1st to 7th with various colorful events including performances by underground rock bands and school rock bands.
* A wide variety of used goods will be sold in the Hi Seoul Flea Market which will be held from the May 8th to 9th on Chongdongg Gil(from the City Hall Annex to the Kyunghang Daily).
* The Cheonggyecheon Festival will feature a wide rage of events like Cheonggyecheon folk games and will be jointly held with the Hi Seoul Grand Sale.
* Hi Seoul Arm Wrestling Contest will be held at the Gyeonghuigung Palace along with traditional games. In addition, various events including Insadong Cultural Festival, Daehangno Cultural Festival, Shinchon-Hongdae Arts Festival, Hi Seoul Performing Arts Festival, Citizen Walkathon, etc will take place.
Tickets : free
For more Info. : 82-2-6321-4477~9
Website : http://www.hiseoulfest.org